At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
This is a leadership role within the Business Development Unit (BDU) for Hematology & Cell Therapy. The mission of the BDU is to bring external opportunities in hematology and cell therapy to augment our internal pipeline and capabilities.
The candidate will possess strong scientific expertise in the biopharmaceutical industry and business development leadership, in both hematology therapeutic area and Cell Therapy as a modality. The candidate will have the ability to think holistically and long-term across a broad spectrum of industry trends and issues in hematology, Cell Therapy, adjacent diseases and platform approaches, and to communicate long term business objectives and priorities through external partnerships. A deep understanding of the drug discovery, development, and regulatory processes is required, as the candidate will lead both scouting activities and evaluation/diligence of novel therapeutic opportunities for both licensing and M&A, while supporting transactional activities. Within BMS, the candidate is required to have strong interpersonal skills and work with multiple internal stakeholders to drive and support highly visible and time-sensitive business development projects. Furthermore, the candidate will be able to co-lead with Transactions to develop and deliver scientific, clinical, technical, and commercial assessments and evaluations in hematology and Cell Therapy field to the relevant BMS governance bodies.
- Lead an S&E team to identify, evaluate and diligence BD opportunities in hematology and Cell Therapy.
- Represent the BDU as the scientific thought leader in strategic area teams and other settings
- Demonstrate leadership and scientific rigor while collaborating closely with internal BD, Enterprise Strategy, R&D, and Commercial stakeholders and potential external partners and other sources of opportunities.
- Lead team to conduct triaging and assessment of all inbound opportunities, and conduct deep scientific and clinical due diligence with cross-functional teams.
- Direct team on proactive external outreach efforts to identify and initially qualify partnering or acquisition opportunities consistent with BMS BD priorities.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize in balancing large book of work while ensuring consistent attention and prioritization of most critical and visible projects.
- Serve as thought leader to formulate Cell Therapy area strategy and hematology therapeutic area strategy (e.g., focus indications, prioritized cell therapy platforms and approaches, target MOAs, potential partners, etc.) while driving the execution of external business development elements.
- Co-lead with the Transactions and cross-functional teams to deliver assessments of technical/commercial risks and team recommendations of external opportunities for BMS governance endorsement, integrating high-level stakeholder input and senior management review.
- Collaborate with Transaction BD colleagues and support agreement negotiation and contracting as needed.
- Oversee Diligence Team for less complex opportunities and directly lead Diligence Team for most complex opportunities:
- Facilitate diligence planning
- Lead diligence interactions with external parties
- Prepare high quality deliverables for diligence findings and recommendations
- Coordinate with Therapeutic Area leads, Thematic Research Center heads, and BD operations team to ensure quality of all diligence output incl. governance meeting readouts
- Lead and participate in BD external partnering events (JPM, BIO, BIO EU, BMS Partnering Days etc.) and relevant technical / scientific meetings, including preparing materials such as presentations, FAQ and related documents.
- Manage and coach a high-performing team and cultivate future leaders in Search & Evaluation
- MD, PhD, PharmD, or other advanced degree in the biomedical field required.
- Minimum 15 years of experience within the biopharmaceutical industry or related biotech/healthcare practice (e.g., consulting, investment banking, venture capital) and minimum 5 years of experience in S&E in a business development organization.
- Direct experience in both hematology and Cell Therapy preferred
- Strong analytical, communication, and leadership skills.
- A proven record of leading discovery, development, or business development projects.
- Deep scientific knowledge in the Cell Therapy as a modality and relevant therapeutic areas with understanding of the preclinical drug discovery and clinical development and approval process.
- Proven ability to lead multiple projects in a matrixed environment with a high degree of independence.
- Consistently deliver on commitments in a timely manner.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate ideas and lead others to accomplish challenging goals and objectives.
- Experience working with both internal and external multidisciplinary teams/customers.
- Can-do attitude and ability to work in a highly matrixed and dynamic business environment including ability to interact and communicate to senior level executives.
- Deep scientific curiosity and commitment to advancing therapeutic innovation that provides better options for patients.
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Apply Directly: http://bit.ly/3jfKXjV