Seeking an independent professional to serve as interim CFO, starting immediately (as in Feb 1.)
The client is a innovative, rapidly growing, small public manufacturing company with a market cap of ~$300M.
Interim CFO can work remotely anywhere in the U.S.
This will be a 3-4 month assignment while the firm conducts a search for a permanent CFO. The interim CFO may, if interested, be considered for the permanent position.
Strategy, Planning, and Management
- Assess and evaluate financial performance of organization with regard to long-term operational goals, budgets and forecasts.
- Provide insight and recommendations to both short-term and long-term growth plan of organization.
- Identify, acquire and implement systems and software to provide critical financial and operational information.
- Evaluate departments and make suggestions for automating processes and increasing working efficiency.
- Communicate, engage and interact with Board of Directors, CEO, COO and Executive Leadership Team.
- Create and establish yearly financial objectives that align with the company’s plan for growth and expansion.
- Select and engage consultants, auditors and investors.
- Participate in pivotal decisions as they relate to strategic initiatives and operational models.
- Interact with and bring department into line with Board of Directors’ plans, initiatives and recommendations.
Financial Analysis, Budgeting, and Forecasting
- Prepare and present monthly financial budgeting reports including monthly profit and loss by product lines / services, forecast vs. budget by product lines / services and weekly cash flow generation by product lines / services.
- Review and analyze monthly financial results and provide recommendations.
- Identify, develop and execute analysis of business initiatives, product launches and / or new service offerings.
- Develop and maintain monthly / annual operating budget.
- Supervise the creation of reports, software implementation, and tools for budgeting and forecasting.
- Participate in weekly conference calls with Board of Directors, and Executive Leadership Team.
- Review and ensure application of appropriate internal controls, SOX compliance, and financial procedures.
- Ensure timeliness / accuracy of financial, and management reporting data for investors, and company’s Board of Directors.
- Oversee the preparation, and communication of weekly, monthly, and annual financial statements.
- Oversee the preparation, and timely filing of all local, state and federal tax returns.
- Oversee preparation of monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements.
- Review all month-end closing activities including general ledger accounts, balance sheet accounts, and overhead cost allocation.
- Enhance, and implement financial, and accounting systems, processes, tools, and control systems.
- Serve as a key point of contact for external auditors, and manage preparation, and support of all external audits.
- Supervise, coordinate, and strategize methods of analysis used to attain team goals with Controller.
- Manage cash flow planning process, and ensure funds availability.
- Oversee cash, investments, and asset management area.
- Explore new investment opportunities, and provide recommendations on potential returns and risks.
- Maintain outstanding banking relationships, and strategic alliances with vendors, and business partners.
- Utilize forward-looking models, and activity-based analyses to provide financial insight into the organization’s plans, and operating budgets.
- Oversee weekly cash management, and Accounts Payables, sign checks, authorize large wires, and ACHs.
- Supervise Accounts Receivables, and provide guidance relating to the collection process.
Financial Relations and Policies
- Engage Board of Directors, and Executive Leadership Team to develop short / long term plans, projections, and budgets.
- Represent company to institutions, investors, public auditors, and other officials as required.
- Remain current on audit best practices as well as state, federal, and local laws regarding company operations.
- BS in Accounting or Finance.
- CPA / CME / MBA preferred.
- Five years minimum experience as a CFO in a medium / large publicly traded corporation.
- Ten years or more total accounting or finance experience.
- Outstanding knowledge, and understanding of GAAP, IFRS, SOX compliance, and SEC reporting.
- Background coordinating with IT staff to manage, and / or upgrade accounting system.
- “Hands On” ERP systems experience (e.g., SAP, ZoHo or HubSpot) experience preferred
- Outstanding communication, and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated leadership ability, confidence, and executive presence.
- Excellent analytical, reasoning, and problem-solving skills.
- Significant experience working with external auditors, internal controls, and compliance-related issues.
Managing Partner, Umbrex